Time & Location
Sep 19, 12:00 AM – Sep 20, 12:00 AM
About the event
Today is all about kindness. When we give selflessly to others, whether through our time, resources, or support, we create a positive ripple effect that extends beyond the people we engage with. Carrying out acts of kindness boosts our happiness, life satisfaction, and overall wellbeing. When we help others, it gives us purpose and a sense of belonging – it’s a win/win!
Think about how you might be able to brighten the day of someone you care about, or even a complete stranger. A small gesture might mean the world to someone else, and you’ll get a bit of a boost, too!
A few ideas to help you give:
- Bake something yummy to share with your hoamahi/colleagues at morning tea time.
- Do you have a friend, hoamahi or someone in your whānau who could do with a helping hand? Give them a few hours of your time today – maybe you could take some kai to your kaumatua’s house, mow the grass verge of your neighbour’s property, or offer to mind your friend’s tamariki for the afternoon.
- Take a moment to stop and kōrero with your neighbour, bus driver or the checkout assistant at the supermarket. Ask ‘how are you/kei te pēhea koe?’ and really listen. It might make all the difference to their day.
- Get crafty and create something for someone who could do with a boost. It could be as simple as drawing them a picture, or writing a thoughtful letter telling them what makes them special. Tamariki might like to try this Sneaky Thank You Cards activity.
- If you have fruit trees pop your excess fruit out on the street or take it to mahi, with a "help yourself" sign.
- Join a community clean-up day – it could be a local awa/river, tātahi/beach or park, or a whakatō rākau/tree planting project with friends, hoamahi or whānau.
- Donate toys, books, sports equipment, clothes that you are no longer using to a local charity.
- Stop to let a car into the traffic in front of you. Watch the chain reaction of courtesy!
- For tamariki, check out the Compliment Posters and Everyday Kindness activities to help them understand the importance of being kind and giving to others.